Rittenhouse Needlepoint is proud to offer an array of informative and affordable classes. Most classes are single sessions. However, we also have multi-session, project classes that start and run regularly throughout the year.
All classes are listed on the calendar.
Private lessons are also available by appointment only for a fee of $15 per 30 minutes. Call the shop to schedule a session.
Below is a list of classes previously offered by Rittenhouse Needlepoint:
- Free class for beginners – We have a weekly free class for beginners that includes instruction on the basic needlepoint stitch (Continental method) as well as background information on needlepoint in general.
- Basketweave – The Basketweave class is offered every two weeks and includes instruction in the preferred method of doing the basic needlepoint stitch. The free beginner’s class is recommended prior to the Basketweave class.
- Stitch-of-the-Week – Each week a new stitch was explored. Attendees received canvas, thread and handout. Instruction included discussion of how the stitch might be used and variations on the stitch. This class is not currently offered, but feel free to call us and request a private lesson!
- Beginning Bargello – This class introduces the history and basic concepts behind Florentine embroidery, also known as Bargello. Bargello is a wonderful and inexpensive way of doing needlepoint that has a long tradition and lots of variety.
- Intermediate Bargello – This course is an extension of the Beginner’s Bargello class and introduces the concepts of varied stitch length and medallions.
- 4-Way Bargello – 4-way Bargello appears far more complicated to stitch than it is. Four-way Bargello projects are always energetic and a real kaleidoscope of color!
- Backgrounds – This is primarily a stitching class intended to teach some excellent new stitches that work well for backgrounds. No more acres of Basketweave!
- Silk Ribbon Embroidery – Learn the beautiful art of silk ribbon embroidery. We cover all the basics in this class and discuss ways in which silk ribbon embroidery techniques can enhance your needlepoint canvas.
- Shading and Thread Blending – This class will forever change the way you stitch -- simple concepts with wide application. This class is based on June McKnight’s wonderful book, Shading and Thread Blending.
- Christmas stockings – A five-part class where we explored various subjects related to Christmas stockings including how to stitch snow, Christmas presents and ribbons, turkey work for Santa’s beard, night sky, Santa’s clothing and candlelight/fire.
- Frogs – Three dimensional needlepoint frogs are so much fun to stitch. This multi-session class concentrated on techniques.
- Long and Short Thread Embroidery – Learn this basic technique of embroidery and watch how it will change the way you look at your needlepoint.
- Plaiding – Learn how to make your own personalized needlepoint plaid. It’s fun and easy. Choose your favorite colors and base the pattern on a birth date, anniversary or any special date.
- Canvas painting – This class introduces the basic concepts of designing and executing painted needlepoint canvases. Class includes both transferring a design to needlepoint canvas and painting needlepoint canvas.
- Borders – Based on June McKnight’s terrific Needlepoint Borders book, this class introduces several types of stitches that make intriguing borders and discusses basic concepts related to putting borders on your needlepoint projects.
- Shadow Stitching / Light Stitching – Explore the possibilities of light canvas coverage and learn to appreciate the beauty of the exposed canvas.
- Exploring Color – Learn the basic concepts and vocabulary of color theory and see how it applies to needlepoint.
- Compensation – Learn the art of fitting in & doing partial stitches.
- Stumpwork/Embroidery/Crewel – Explore related stitchery techniques in this three part class including three dimensional embroidery and wool embroidery on linen.